Friday, May 24, 2013

A Circle of Sisters


I was also very excited to meet JoLyn Brown in person! (She is the author who has compiled visiting teaching stories from various authors ~ including one of mine ~ in a book titled A Circle of Sisters). I came into the Grand Ballroom at the Provo Marriott after I checked in with the conference people and sat down with a couple of ladies I didn't know. I introduced myself and we chatted for a few minutes and exchanged business cards. I saw a friend from my children's book group come in, so I excused myself and went to visit with her for a few minutes. While I was talking to Robyn, I met Sharee. They invited me to come sit with them. I went back to get my things from the other table and saw a new face. Simultaneously we spoke. I saw that her name badge said JoLyn Brown and she'd seen my name on my business card. I said, "JoLyn! I was going to look for you today and here you are at the first table I sat at." She said she sat down with the two women at this table because they are in her book group and recognized my name as A Circle of Sisters author. We talked for a few minutes and then said that she'd chosen the cover and asked if I wanted to see it. Here it is!


She is featuring various authors that have stories in the book on her blog and asked me to write a guest blog! But wait, there is more good news:
I just found out that A Circle of Sisters is now on Goodreads and Walnut Springs is giving away three copies of the book. Go here to get all the details.


LDS Storymakers Conference

What an enlightening adventure! I am so glad that I was able to attend this year's conference - the Saturday session anyway. I learned from some of the best about how to develop and hone my skills as an author:
"Bait and Hook" by Josi S. Kilpack
"Getting Inside the Head of a Middle Grade Kid" by Peggy Eddleman
"Making Your Fantasy Writing Fantastic" by Julie Wright
"The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow: It's High Time" by Alyssa Henkin
"To Be or Not To Be - Reasons for Using a Pen Name" by Janette Rallison
"Story Turns" by John Brown
You know that you've learned the right stuff when you find yourself thinking as you watch a movie with your kids and think there's a 'story turn'. Then you realize you've said it out loud and they laugh and say what?
Thanks to all of the authors who took the time to present and help fill my head with the knowledge I need to make my delusions of grandeur a reality. And to the new friends I made...Sharee C. especially. It's not very often that you meet someone who has your same name in spelling and pronunciation. Everyone I've ever met that spells their name the same as I do pronounces it Sherry. And she used to work with my sister-in-law. What a small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Through My Eyes by Sharee Wanner

My site is live, check it out! Please join me on a new adventure as I capture the beauty found in nature and my imagination on can...